Best of the Blog: Running a Restaurant
In the seven years that I kept this blog, one thing I wrote about all the time was what it was actually like to run a restaurant. This gets harrowing, but don't be scared. Sometimes the best way to cure your fears is to confront them.
- "Isn't it glamorous being a chef?" Sure, if you like doing horrible things like this.
- "Well, at least you can always take a vacation." No, no you cannot ever take a vacation.
- "But at least you're your own boss." That's right, and I'm totally dependent on other people.
- Often those other people are criminals.
- Sometimes they are just jerkwads.
- Always they are expensive.
- Kitchens: during a night of cooking they get dirtier than you've been told.
- That's why we occasionally just burn all of our possessions.
- Many people ask: are you ever attacked by squirrels? Yes, I am often attacked by squirrels.
- But not everyone is a rabid squirrel. Some nice people have even worked for me.
- But you know who I don't like? The Health Department.